Please Login

Remember me

Not a member? Register here | Lost Password?

Login / Register

Welcome to Readers Enclave !

It seems that this is your first time in our forum. RE is a home for Book Lovers, Bibliophiles and people who are into Literal activities. Most of the features of RE are available only to our beloved registered members.
We are encouraging you to join us and be one of our beloved member by registering a new account.
Registration is free and come in handy, you just need to provide a valid e-mail address so that you can verify your account.
As a Readers Enclave member you'll have the special privileges
Participate in discussions related to Novels and Writing
Chance to win free books and have them delivered to your door step for completely FREE !
Have your writings stories / poems reach masses
Participate in Writers contest and win prizes
Buy / Sell your old books
Have your own Bookshelf, add, delete and manage books
Post in threads, reply to threads, vote on polls, and create new threads | topics.
Meet new book lovers same as your taste
And yeah, have lots of fun
All that and more, so what are you waiting for, Join us now!

Use your Facebook account to register | login here in Readers Enclave

If you are having any trouble with registration, write us at readersenclave[at]gmail[dot].com, we will be happy to help Biggrin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beginner's Guide for Graphics Novels and Comics
21-08-2011, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 12:43 PM by crossbow.)
Beginner's Guide for Graphics Novels and Comics
Graphics Novel Wiki Page

To start with... I am also a beginner in GNs. There are lots of GNs mentioned below that I have not read it yet.

when I read my first GN, I found out new kind of entertainment and excitement. Movies like superman, batman, watchman are cool. But Trust me, GNs are far more fapsome then movies. People all around the world make movies "inspired" from these books. People have to arrange for fests like "comic-con" due to these books and popularity of this genre. GNs are one of the firm reasons, one likes to being called "a comic-book nerd". Tongue.

Ok, without wasting much of a time. (This is not a ranking of Best GNs. One can start with any series or book. Some of the stories are already adopted for movies. So it may be easy to start reading about familiar characters. On the other side, one can start with books which story and characters are fully unknown. Element of surprise. BEWARE. READ on your own risk. It's extremely addictive and this Hobby or whatever of GNs can be proved costly for Middle-class indian like me. facepalm

Comic books/ GN series

1) Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Seen Movie ? Now read this. Great start for GN journey. Story about a guy called scott Pilgrim and his Heart ramona flowers Heart.
A six part series. Reviews and stuff? refer above link.

2) Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra
Last Male on earth. among zombies? NO. among females. Panic. Story is far more mature, and gripping then you think.
A 60 parts comic series. 10 paperback volumes and 5 HC volumes

3) Maus: A Survivor's Tale, by Art Spiegelman
One can say that by far TEH (One of the) Best post-apocalyptic Holocaust scenario GN.
A 2 part series.

4) The sandman, by Neil Gaiman
This comic series is one classy example denoting comics are not for kids only. A Story of a dream who rules over world of dreams.
A 75 Issues series.

5) The walking dead, by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard
He he he he. You sir are thinking right. Gritty witty Zombies. and Z war and survival and stuff. Have seen the TV series SE1? Does not even come closer to this GN series.
An ongoing 88 issues comic series with 88 past issues. 6 HC book compilation by far. contains 12 issues each. 7th HC book in Pre-order at amazon.

6) Bone, by Jeff Smith
Centers around 3 brothers' story. funny and fantasy stuff.
A 9 part series.

7) The Watchmen, by Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons and John Higgins
Many of you might have already read it as well. If not Angry. Many think this is considered as THE best comic ever.
A 12 part series.

8) Batman series by Frank Miller
Start with Batman : Year One. Frank Miller is awesome. Batman is awesome.
<I am exactly not sure about the start of the series. There have been different writers as well on Batman comics. Please visit googlaaa for more info>

9) Fables, by Bill Willingham
The series deals with various characters from fairy tales and folklore – referring to themselves as "Fables" – who have been forced out of their Homelands by "The Adversary" who has conquered the realm. The Fables have traveled to our world and formed a clandestine community in New York City known as Fabletown. Fables who are unable to blend in with human society (such as monsters and anthropomorphic animals) live at "the Farm" in upstate New York.
A 107 Issues (As of July 2011) series. 16 PB collected editions. 3 HC Deluxe Editions

10) Sin City, by Frank Miller
Another Frank Miller Awesomeness. A super read under Crime category.
7 PB editions, 2 HC Volumns

11) Preacher, by Garth Ennis and artist Steve Dillon
Preacher tells the story of Jesse Custer, a down-and-out preacher in the small Texas town of Annville. Custer was accidentally possessed by the supernatural creature named Genesis in an incident which killed his entire congregation and flattened his church.
66 Issues series, 9 PB Volumns, 6 HC Volumns

12) V for Vendetta, by Alan Moore and David Lloyd
One of the best crime and Mystery comic book series till date. One of the favs of GN lovers.
10 Issues series. Both PB and HC single volumes available.

13) 100 Bullets, by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso
Another awesome comic series in crime and mystery genre.
100 Issues series, 13 PB collected Editions

14) Marvel Zombies, by Robert Kirkman with Sean Phillips and Arthur Suydam
the story begins with a virus reaching Earth, turning most of Earth's superheroes and some civilians into zombies
A limited series by Marvel Comics. 5 Issues, both in PB and HC.

To be continued.
(I know astrix and CnH is missing.Dodgy And lot more.)

Special Thanks to fatty aka alekh. He is the true GN Lover I have met till Date. He inspired me into comic books and GNs indirectly.
And To Audio Video Interleave, he knows why.

Some good links to refer
http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/a...09,00.html
http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/
http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/
http://marvel.com/comics
http://www.flipkart.com/comics-graphic-n...books-1141
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like crossbow's post:
AccuviZion, avi, Krow, Tenzin Jamyang
21-08-2011, 12:11 PM
RE: Beginner's Guide for Graphics Novels and Comics
Excellent article ! It will be great helpful for newbies like me Biggrin

I have already read Maus & I totally liked it. Next is, From Hell by Alan Moore....Man I think I am getting addicted to GNs clap

sticked it Smile

21-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks avi. Will keep on adding good series time after time.
Also Let me know if anything else is needed or some format sort of thing required.
21-08-2011, 05:03 PM
nope, it is totally fine !

Please add few Murder Mysteries Biggrin Today I am gonna start From Hell. God I am totally addicted to GNs within a day !!

22-08-2011, 07:23 AM
LoL!! Biggrin Good for You Avi!!

Dodgy Currently Hooked onto Clive Cussler!! Sleepy
22-08-2011, 11:33 AM
^have you read it ? whats your opinion ? btw introduce yourself here - http://www.readersenclave.com/Forum-Introduce-yourself Smile

@crossbow - any murder mysteries in Color ? From Hell is also in B&W. Want to read color now Smile

22-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Nice list, thanks for putting it up. Smile
22-08-2011, 02:18 PM
@krow - I need murder mysteries and in color. any GN you can suggest ?

25-08-2011, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2011 01:24 PM by crossbow.)
Fables, sin city, v for vendetta, preacher, 100 bullets, marvel zombies added.

Avi.. 100 bullets? I am not sure whether it's available in color or not.but it definitely is a good read on crime and stuff genre.

Now will start with some good GNs (single novels) and travel log GNs.
29-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Okay, will get 100 bullets now Biggrin

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)